Count Accountants LogoMaking it COUNT, where you COUNT

What Expenses Can I Claim If I’m Self-Employed?

There are a variety of expenses you can claim for if you’re self-employed – if they are ‘wholly and exclusively’ for business use. Expenses are deducted from sales to work out your taxable profit (what you get taxed on at the end of the year).

Office costs

  • Phone, mobile, fax (are these still a thing?!) and internet bills
  • Postage
  • Stationery
  • Printing
  • Printer ink and cartridges
  • Computer software

Costs for your business’ premises

  • Rent
  • Business and water rates
  • Utility bills
  • Property insurance
  • Security
  • Use your home as an office

Travel costs

  • Vehicle insurance
  • Vehicle repairs
  • Fuel/mileage
  • Parking
  • Hire charges
  • Train, bus, air and taxi fees
  • Hotel rooms

Clothing expenses

  • Uniforms
  • Protective clothing needed for your work
  • Costumes for actors/entertainers

Staff costs

  • Wages
  • Pensions
  • Agency fees
  • Subcontractors

Things you buy to sell on e.g. stock, raw materials or direct costs from producing goods

Financial costs

  • Bank charges
  • Interest
  • Operating lease payments
  • Legal and professional costs for hiring of accountants, solicitors, architects and surveyors

Advertising or marketing

  • Advertising in newspapers/directories/Facebook/online
  • Website costs
  • Business cards

Training courses

A full list of the above can be found on HMRC's website using the following link

Please note, allowable expenses do not include any drawings (money) you take from the business or loan repayments! These are shown on the balance sheet of the year end accounts and do not affect the taxable profit.

You may also be eligible to claim capital allowances on assets that you have for your business. For example, equipment, machinery or business vehicles.

Any items that have an element of personal use will need an adjustment to the overall expense.